Monday, January 26, 2009

A Reality Check

Instead of a new stimulus plan where the government sends me money, can they send me to a shooting school instead? That may sound odd so allow me explain. I went to two matches this weekend, one private match and a USPSA match. The private match is the same one I shoot every month. The rules are a combination of USPSA, IDPA, and ICOR. There is a higher premium placed upon accuracy over speed, however, the targets are close so you can go fast anyways. I won that match. I won it by 15% over the second place guy.

Now I've been practicing my draw and dry firing. I'm steeping up my round count to somewhere around 750 rounds a month. I'm training for Double Tap in March, it's a run and gun match, and to win, I'm going to have to be at the top of my game.

So Sunday, I go and shoot the local USPSA match. They have alot of run and gun stages set up in anticipation of Double Tap. My performance was less than stellar. I did not lose by any means. My times were up among the fastest shooters but my hits weren't there. I had alot of Deltas and a few misses, 4 out of 120 rounds to be exact. I know what my problem is. It's the same problem about once a year. I'm trying to go to fast. So whats the solution? Mental Discipline. I have to tell myself, "Slow and smooth, and smooth is fast." Basically when I slow down I'm about 2 seconds behind the leaders with as good, if not better hits. That doesn't always win but it comes close. We will see how the scores come out for yesterday, but I'm sure I need to slow down. Probably a 4th place finish out of 20 shooters.

1 comment:

Amanda Bailey-Lemoine said...

It sounds like you're going out there and having fun. Take it one target at a time and let us know how you do.

 
Site Meter