Saturday, September 5, 2009

Shooting vs. Hunting

Sebastian talks about the burden of breaking into hunting. I have a slightly different perspective.

I grew up hunting, we shot to increase our skill, but only so that we could quickly and cleanly harvest game. We also spent time hiking and practicing other outdoors skills. It wasn't until a few years ago that I started practical pistol shooting. When I started pistol shooting I had enough gear to shoot production class, but getting into limited class wasn't cheap. I believe that I spent about $2000, and that was going cheap. Any new hobby is going to have start up costs. Could you imagine trying to break into golf (I don't want to either)?

My point is this; Shooting and hunting, although they involve firearms, are two different sports. They require separate training and separate gear. They are two different disciplines. Sure there is some crossover, but not much.

The only thing that your average hunter and your average shooter have in common is the use of a projectile weapon. This is a blessing and a curse. I enjoy both pursuits, they satisfy me on different levels. I understand why hunters don't understand shooters and vice versa. Remember one thing, we are all on the same team, and will both suffer if the tools of our hobbies become further regulated and taxed.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Shooting is an act of will involving the brain, the hand and the eye.

Hunting is an act of will that involves most every body part, most especially the heart.
-Brigid

Sigboy said...

Truer words have not been spoken.

 
Site Meter